Community Service Chairman
The community service chairman is responsible for the oversight and execution of community service events both inside and outside the chapter. In conjunction with the active chapter, he plans community service events and ensures the chapter’s participation in other service events on and off campus. He is also responsible for fostering an environment in which the brothers understand and value the benefit of giving back to the community in the form of service and volunteerism.
It is also the community service chairman’s responsibility to educate the chapter members on the difference between philanthropy and community service. Community service is the act of volunteering one’s time to help other people, a community or an organization; philanthropy, on the other hand, is the act of raising money for charity or for another organization.
Officer Duties Include
- Planning, scheduling and executing Sigma Chi community service events.
- Ensuring chapter participation in other organizations’ service events.
- Promoting and ensuring a safe and respectful environment for all service events.
- Maintaining calendar of community service events.
- Having a working knowledge of service opportunities available, including those provided by the college or university.
- Educating members and event participants about the chapter’s specific community service endeavors.
- Recording service hours earned by the chapter and by its individual members, and reporting these numbers on the Annual Report, to the office of fraternity and sorority life, and any other relevant parties.
- Working with the philanthropy chairman to collaborate on chapter events.
- Working with the public relations chairman to publicize successful community service events.