The Consul is the president or CEO of the chapter. He presides over chapter meetings and other chapter affairs and activities, and is responsible for the security of the charter, Ritual and Ritualistic materials.
The Consul should possess a working knowledge of the Sigma Chi Governing Laws, Ritual, risk management regulations, chapter bylaws and policies, and campus and interfraternity regulations and procedures. He maintains a close relationship and communication with chapter advisors, the house corporation, the Grand Praetor, alumni, Headquarters and university and interfraternity council officials.
The Consul maintains current knowledge of all chapter and member developments and activities, and follows up on all operations and programs by interacting with the appropriate officers. He should attend the Balfour Leadership Training Workshop.
Officer Duties Include
- Be ultimately accountable for everything that the chapter does or fails to do.
- Acquaint himself with all of the requirements laid out in Sigma Chi's Ritual, Governing Laws and policies, as well as with all chapter bylaws and campus regulations, and to ensure these standards are strictly followed.
- Maintain the integrity of, the chapter's respect for and the proper performance of the Ritual.
- Ardently guard the security of the chapter's charter, Ritual and Ritualistic materials.
- Preside over the chapter meetings and such chapter affairs as is appropriate.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of all chapter activities and areas of operation.
- Immediately upon election, develop a program of goals toward which he and his executive committee shall strive to achieve during his term.
- Work with the Grand Praetor, the chapter advisor, chapter alumni and Headquarters in guiding the affairs of the chapter.
- Acquaint all officers with the extent and importance of their duties, delegate authority and responsibility to these officers, and ensure these duties and responsibilities are carried out.
- Maintain a close relationship with university administrators and with officers of other campus fraternities and sororities.
- See that chapter administrative affairs are handled promptly and that orderly chapter administrative files are maintained.
- Maintain and strengthen the chapter's activities, accomplishments, and proficiency in all internal and external areas.
- Maintain high standards of chapter scholarship, discipline, etiquette, morals and hospitality as a reflection of the Ritual of Sigma Chi.
- Watch for potential problems within the chapter and effect such measures necessary to prevent their further development.
- Conduct himself so as to always deserve the respect and cooperation of all brothers.
- Cultivate and preserve unity within the chapter.
- Train and assist his successor as Consul and ensure that all other chapter officers carry out the same responsibilities toward their successors.
- Attend Balfour Leadership Training Workshop.
- Hold himself and every member of the Fraternity accountable to the Sigma Chi Oath of Initiation.